Wednesday, July 21, 2010

First Disaster

Today is one of those days that, altho it has just begun, you need it to end like yesterday.

The passing of a family friend last night, the resultant lack of prep and sleep are not a good combination to teach the first two lessons of the day.

This was evident in my crash and burn teaching this morning.

First lesson Math lit, we started Unit 11 - simple ratio, proportion, measurements, areas volumes - did all the exercises before hand - but didnt think to work through the "Working example" so instead of going through the working example and then the girls getting on with the exercises we got stuck on the working example and although I knew how to do it I just couldnt verbalise it in a way that they could understand. It all ended horribly with me saying we would move on and clarify the situation tomorrow.

Then second lesson Math grade 9: A simple revision of chapter 9 : Ratio, rate and proportion - or so I thought.

I tried to let them explain what they would do so I could see if they were doing it the right way or where they were getting stuck or going wrong but that just made things worse and the ones who didnt have a clue confused the ones who did and me and the teacher had to step in and put it so simply and clearly that I felt like an ignorant idiot.

Anyway, that is my teaching done for the day and I wish I could go and climb into a hole somewhere.

Lesson for the day....

JUST WHEN U THINK U KNOW.... U ACTUALLY DONT....

oh yes... and ..... sleep and sufficient prep are essential for a smooth run

No comments:

Post a Comment